Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Smooth Sailin'


Where were we - got kicked out, got back in - tearing down equipment. Ok, we are on to Craig Morgan. Craig has a LOT of great songs. I had one of his CD's (that International Harvester song is like an anthem to me) but had no idea that there were so many others. I believe his 5th was just released yesterday, so look for it in the local stores and pick up a copy. His set included the majority of his older songs and just a few samples from the new CD. He has a fantastic band backing him, along with a fiddle player. More bands need fiddle players, it brings to mind old school country music and really adds a nice touch to the songs.

Mid set Craig braved the crowd and zoomed off the stage and up the left side of the venue, and up a few steps to sing. Very cool, love that interaction and the crowd loved it. Then he zoomed back down and headed our way. He got captured by a blond who was having perhaps a little bit too much fun (insert too much beer) who pasted herself around him, but thanks to security his new appendage was removed and he was safely able to return to stage. I didn't count songs, but he definitely sang more songs than Jason Michael Carroll (sigh). I am guessing he played 45 minutes to an hour and it rocked the house. I need to see him a couple more times to really become a Craig fan, but I did enjoy the show.

Next up - the big guy! I have been following Trace Adkins for 10 years or so, and always try and catch him if he is in the area. If you have not had the pleasure, give his live show a try. Trace Adkins has been entertaining us on the country stations since 1996 and his presence on stage shows it.He also has a CD releasing in the upcoming weeks and played a slew of songs off it. *I* prefer hearing songs that I know, though of course the more I hear them, the more I will know them. Go figure! He has alot of ballads coming out of the barn on this one, and I love his ballads - but they don't do much in the way of pumping me up during a show. Sooo - while Trace is always amazing to see, the show wasn't "all that" for me. It was good, just not stellar. Sorry Trace fans - maybe it was my seating, maybe it was that I still felt shorted on JMC's set.

Absolutely nothing unusual leaving - the buses were in a privacy fenced area, safely under lock and key. So we headed home, listening to Craig and Jason's CD's on the way.

No comments: