Sunday, September 7, 2008

Meet My Pet Peeve


Pardon me for taking 2 days off and then returning to tell you about my pet peeve - but I would like to introduce you to my pet peeve. I know not all of us go to concerts with a camera - and for those of us that do, not all cameras nor all photographers are created equal. So today's picture illustrates my pet peeve as best as I can without risking copyright infringement by "borrowing" an image from another online source.

My pet peeve completely 100% revolves around photos. I personally spend more time at a concert taking photos than I do watching the show. Maybe not the biggest bang for my time, but it gives me the opportunity to relive the moments over and over again. I also enjoy sharing my photos with other members of different communities and enjoy viewing pics others have shared in said communities. Someone somewhere forever ago said "emulation is the sincerest form of flattery". If you like my pics - fabulous! I like yours too. You want to take them and put them on your computer to enjoy them later? Also great! I have taken some of yours as well. Want to post mine on your online galleries as if they are your own? Over my (RIP) body.

If you like it - great, save it. Put it wherever you like, but put the photographers name with it. Not sure who took the picture? Ask. Time and time again I have been cyber-strolling through photo galleries only to find a picture that looks an awful lot like one of mine. Ok, so I have a few hundred of them - but I also have a good memory. Sure enough - direct overlay and ta-da, it IS the same photo! Only it is in Jon Smith's gallery - did Jon Smith take it or did I? Now lets say that by some gigantic stroke of good fortune, Company XYZ is so completely impressed by the photo that they wish to get copyright permission to use the photograph in some way. Super! Awesome, maybe even 'totally cool dude'. But wait - who do they contact? The person who holds the copyright for the picture (intellectual property). How are they going to know who that is? Because anyone who has copied it and put it in their own collection has credited the original photographer.

So - that is my pet peeve. I am wondering if anyone else feels this way, or if you think I am off my rocker. I promise to post something useful later, but I needed to get this off my chest.

*By the way - todays photo was taken by me....and then edited, again by me.

No comments: